Assertive News

News, That People Wants

What happens if a dog eats chocolate

What happens if a dog eats chocolate

You have to be very careful with the foods that are left within reach of the dogs since although they like certain foods, it does not mean that they are healthy for them. Many toxic dog foods can cause significant damage to your body and even end your life. For example, do you know what happens if a dog eats chocolate?

If your dog has eaten this food, you should know that it can be very toxic to him and you have to act as soon as possible. Keep reading to know what can happen if your dog eats chocolate, especially if it is high, and how to act in this situation.

What happens if a dog eats chocolate?

what happens if a dog eats chocolate

Among the prohibited foods for dogs is chocolate. The toxicity of chocolate in dogs depends on the amount ingested, the dog’s size, and the type of chocolate it has eaten. Chocolate is among the toxic foods for dogs because it contains theobromine in its composition. Dogs do not metabolize this component well and that is why if it accumulates in their body it can cause serious problems in it. Also, it should be borne in mind that cocoa, dark or bitter chocolate and cooking chocolate contain the most theobromine.

How much chocolate is toxic to dogs

The dangerous dose of theobromine for these animals is considered to be between 250 and 500 mg/kg of animal weight. Therefore, for a 5 kg dog to be poisoned by eating chocolate, it would have to ingest between 90 and 180 g of dark chocolate. On the other hand, a 25 kg dog would need to eat between 400 and 900 g of dark chocolate to become poisoned. As you can see, these are high amounts that no one would expressly give their dog.

Although it is not easy for a dog to become intoxicated eating chocolate, even less if it is milk chocolate (we do not take white into account because it does not contain cocoa and, therefore, does not have theobromine), definitely, this food does not have to form part of the usual diet of dogs. Do you know how to make a dog poop quickly?

What happens if you give chocolate to a dog

Your dog will surely ask you for a chunk of food whenever he sees you put something in your mouth. Don’t fall for it and don’t offer it everything it asks for, since many foods are detrimental to the health of your dog, including chocolate, as we have just clarified. However, what happens if your furry steals a piece of chocolate or if one of your visitors gives him a piece?

What if my dog ​​has eaten some chocolate

If your dog is a large breed and has ingested a minimum amount of chocolate, it may only appear discomfort or stomach and intestinal disorders, such as vomiting or diarrhea, which end up alone without further complications. Therefore, in general, the severity will depend on the amount ingested and the type of chocolate.

What if my dog ​​eats a lot of chocolate
If you give your dog a lot of chocolate or he takes it without you noticing, what will happen is that problems will begin to appear in his body and several signs of intoxication will be seen. Among the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs are:

  • Hyperactive behavior
  • Gasps
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Muscle spasms.
  • Dehydration
  • Seizures

Normally, chocolate poisoning is usually manifested with hyperactivity in the dog and panting, followed by vomiting and diarrhea. These are the first symptoms and then others follow, such as muscle spasms, seizures, dehydration, and, in the most serious situations, this poisoning could end a dog’s life due to heart or respiratory failure.

How to make a dog that has eaten chocolate vomit

Your role is essential if you have witnessed that your dog has ingested chocolate, so you will have to act quickly to induce vomiting in your dog and, thus, prevent the chocolate from causing damage to its body. To make a dog vomit, follow these steps; don’t worry, you won’t do any harm to your furry.

  • It is recommended to call your trusted veterinarian so that he/she can advise you throughout the process, no one will give you better instructions than him/her.
  • Make sure that no more than 2 hours have passed since you have eaten this food.
  • You can make your dog vomit by diluting 1-3 tablespoons of salt in a glass of water and with a syringe give it to your dog little by little.
  • Another method is to use hydrogen peroxide. Dilute in normal water 1 or 2 ml of hydrogen peroxide for each kilo of weight of your dog and wait a few minutes. If after 15 minutes your dog has not vomited yet repeat the same process but with 0.5 ml for each kilo of weight of your dog. This should be enough for your dog to vomit in a few minutes.
  • If it has worked, you will see your dog have abdominal contractions, nausea and salivation, ending with vomiting, which will contain the chocolate that he had ingested.

Veterinary treatment for chocolate poisoning in dogs

If you have seen or think that your dog may have ingested chocolate and you go to the vet, he will perform a series of tests, such as a physical examination to check for symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs, such as deep red mucous membranes, tachycardias or breathing too fast (tachypnea) and what he considers always acting quickly. The appropriate treatment would be:

  • Make the dog vomit within 2 hours of eating this food.
  • Administer fluid therapy to detoxify the body.
  • A nasogastric tube may be required to perform stomach lavage.
  • It may also be necessary to administer activated charcoal to prevent the chocolate from being absorbed by the dog’s body.

How to prevent chocolate poisoning in my dog

Now that you know what happens if a dog eats chocolate by accident and you want to prevent your dog from getting poisoned by said food, follow these tips on how to prevent chocolate poisoning in dogs, something that can save your dog’s life:

The essential thing is to keep the chocolate in a place where your dog cannot access to pick it up and put it in his mouth. Do not offer him under any circumstances even the minimum amount of chocolate. Remember that if your concern is “my dog ​​has eaten a little chocolate” and if it is very little in proportion to the weight of the animal, nothing has to happen, but it is always better to go to the vet to check it soon and if it is a necessity to act. Do not let anyone feed your dog without your consent, as certain people may not be aware of the toxicity of this food and may offer it to them without you realizing it. Watch the children. These are the ones that offer the most things to dogs normally, teach them that they should not give them chocolate or other toxic foods.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*