What are polyurethanes and how are they used?
Polyurethanes are plastic materials that are formed when polyol reacts with a polymeric isocyanate or a diisocyanate. Due to the wide array of polyols and diisocyanates, a large range of different materials can be made to meet the needs of a whole host of different applications. Polyurethanes are used in couches, mattresses, insulation, foam toys, cleaning sponges, liquid coatings and paints, and in tough elastomers such as the wheels of roller blades.
Types of polyurethane
Polyurethane flexible foam
Polyurethane flexible foam is used as the cushioning for different products, including bedding, sofas, carpet underlays and packaging. It is one of the most common forms of polyurethane.
Polyurethane rigid foam
Used as the material for insulation in roofs and walls homes, this plastic also lowers noise levels and helps to maintain a uniform temperature inside properties. This is incredibly important as otherwise the heat that is generated from the new system you had put in by Boiler Installation Gloucester company hprservicesltd.com/gloucester-boilers would simply leak out of your walls and ceiling. Now that would make for a gigantic energy bill!
Coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers
Coatings can lengthen the lifespan of a product by protecting it. Adhesives can bond different elements together, while sealants enable very tight seals. Elastomers are plastics that can be moulded into any form and are resistant to harsh environments.
– Apparel. Polyurethanes can be made into fine threads. This means they can be combined with nylon, creating stretchable and lightweight clothes such as spandex or other forms of sports clothes designed to stretch.
– Appliances. Rigid foam polyurethane is commonly used in freezer and refrigerator insulation systems.
– Automotive. Polyurethanes can be found in different parts of a car, from the seats and the ceiling to the bumpers, spoilers, doors and windows.
– Flooring. Often used as a foam underlay to expand the lifespan of carpet, polyurethanes can also be used as a coating for flooring such as wood, parquet and even cement.
– Composite wood. Polyurethanes are used as binders on composite wood products to fix wood materials together and create fibreboard, laminated-veneer lumber, long-strand lumber and particleboard.
– Marine. Epoxy resins are used to seal the hulls of boats from the water, preventing corrosion and leading to extended durability.
– Packaging. Packaging foam, also known as PPF, is used to protect items whilst they are in transit. Often used for electronic and medical equipment, glassware and industrial parts, PPF can be created to provide a custom-fit container for any item.